Saturday 9 November 2013

Brief 7: Front Cover Development (Idea 1)



I have been continuing to develop this illustrated idea, and I have played both with the composition and the use of imagery, removing the smaller fist drawings and instead using 2 of the larger fists reflecting each other to represent the two gangs. I think that the use of the larger fists has more visual impact on the front cover, and I have tried to make sure that the type on the front cover is well balanced, and I think that working it around the lines of the fist looks effective and a little bit more dynamic than if everything were just straight and centred, which will make it more engaging and appealing to a younger audience.
One part of the book that I think is very important and that I wanted to communicate was the poem 'Nothing Gold Can Stay' that Johnny and Ponyboy discuss when they are on the run, and something that Johnny repeats to Ponyboy to encourage him to continue to view through the world from his unique perspective. In order to communicate this, I decided to make one of the fists on the cover gold. The gold fist can also be seen to represent the greasers, whilst the black fist represents the socs.


No comments:

Post a Comment