Sunday 20 April 2014

New Brief 9: Dust Jackets

After discussing the covers with my peers, I have decided to scrap the silver foil concept as it does not work as well visually or conceptually as the other three covers, and I can still present these as a series, just as a trio.To ensure that there is cohesion throughout, there is a limited colour palette of black, white and greys, as well as the use of one font family: Domaine. For the back covers there is also the use of minimal text from the blurb which reads 'What have we done to each other?'. I think this works well as it heightens and emphasises the thriller aspect of the book. Two are image based, and one is type based but would be finished with a spot UV/black foil to make it disappear into the black whilst still being readable when in light. I decided to create dust jackets as I felt that this would be a compromise between the quality of a hardback as well as being easier to print and technically more viable and realistic in a commercial environment. The important information can be displayed on the inside flaps of the dust jackets and therefore they do not distract from the bold visuals. 






No comments:

Post a Comment